Jonge Dirk
The latest addition to De Zaansche Molen is De Jonge Dirk. The mill began its existence as Indies Welvaren on Het Blauwepad in Zaandam. Mr Heikebertus Schoe designed and built the mill himself, a remarkable and unusual achievement, especially considering that Schoe was not a millwright. Initially, the mill was used as a spice mill with Verkade as its biggest customer. In 1914, Schoe mechanised the mill. After his death, Indies Welvaren fell into disrepair. Mill expert Jo Vooren took care of the remains in 1958 and brought them to Westzaan, where he brought the mill back to life under the name De Jonge Dirk . The engine part was transferred to De Huisman, which has stood on the Zaanse Schans since 1955. The Jonge Dirk is a small but versatile mill. Together with De Schoolmeester and Het Prinsenhof, the mill determines the face of Westzaan. Next to De Jonge Dirk is the meadow mill De Zwaan.